Friday, March 2, 2012

Thai History- Q2

What are the ramifications of a union of political and creative power?  What happens when the elite get to choose what is performed?

In the United States, there exist in every large city a "Center for the Performing Arts", endowed by someone wealthy and influencial.  They get to name the Center, for instance, mine would be Angela Thurman Center for the Performing Arts!  Because I gave the money, the Center would allow me to be on the board, I might even be the President, or else I would appoint one of my children and I would be a silent benefactor.  Due to my influence, I would have a hand in deciding what type of performing arts would actually be performed- so, the ATCPA would have opera (I love opera!), ballet, musicals, maybe the Riverdance would come through, probably not symphony because while I like classical music, I think going to the symphony is boring, not mimes for sure (I hate mimes and clowns!)- you get the picture.  Due to my patronage, I would basically get to choose what the people of Thurmanville got to go see.  I am not telling them what to like, I am not even telling them that they have to like the same things that I like but I am certainly influencing what they have the chance to see, my views are the ones that are publicized and made available so I am shaping their views on what qualifies as art and what does not and there is a pretty good chance that I will have an impact on the art scene in Thurmanville for many years to come- for better or for worse!

The text mentions that the Thai royals became "increasingly detached from the people", thus it is likely that their views were not the same views as their subjects but that didn't matter- the royals dictated what was performed.  At one point they even outlawed commoners from playing musical instruments!  So, not only did they dictate what art you were allowed to see, they even dictated what simple pleasures you were allowed to participate in.  After the monarchy fell in 1932, the elites "ceased to exist as focal points of cultural activity" and people were allowed to choose their own art forms.  Interestingly, there was a form of Lakhon that was only performed in the royal court- it has since fallen out of favor due to expense and lack of interest, other forms have risen up to take its place by the will of the public.

There is art that I love and art that I don't think even qualifies as art but that is o.k. because in America, it is "to each his own".  That freedom of expression has allowed art to flourish and if it can find an audience, it will grow and continue to evolve.  If it doesn't, it usually dies on the vine.  I think we all benefit from the rich culture of art, dance, performance, etc that allows anyone the opportunity to be an artist and everyone to be an audience.

Check out what is upcoming at the Kennedy Center and Bass Performance Hall:

Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Schedule of Upcoming Events:
http://www.kennedy-center.org/calendar/?fuseaction=showalpha

Bass Performance Hall Schedule of Upcoming Events:
http://www.basshall.com/eventsnew.jsp

Angela Thurman


2 comments:

  1. This is a great commentary on what happens when the elite choose. Another commentary is when the elite begin to choose they begin to shape the culture can promote messages (through subverted means) the performances become propaganda. When leaders control entertainment they begin to control politicized messages. Though the readings did not address this literally it always is a risk and can leave rural communities as marginalized others with in their own culture thereby eradicating their influence and art contributions. -Travis L Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, I deeply desire for you to have your own Center for the Performing Arts!! Please make this happen as soon as possible.

    Yes, I think that the former popularity and current demise of Thai dance/drama is intimately tied to the relationship between these art forms and the upper class of old Thai (Siamese) society. To extend this essay, I'd like to see you pick out one of the examples you give and tease out the similarities. For example, take opera in the US. Opera is not generally well-loved by the US entertainment-seeking populace, and yet almost every Center for the Performing Arts in almost every city in the US sponsors opera performances or concerts of music from opera. Why? Why keep opera alive when most folks would rather go to a karaoke bar? Why do wealthy people want to be seen going to the opera? What values and traditions have become embedded in this performance format?

    ReplyDelete